Hosting a Minecraft server for the first time

Introduction Forums Using the EnergyPLAN Tool Hosting a Minecraft server for the first time

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    serra neo
    Participant

Hey, I’ll be hosting a Minecraft server for the first time for me and my friends. So I have a few questions that I will hopefully find answers to in this subreddit.

I’ve heard about Pterodactyl and Portainer. What’s the difference and which one should I use?

Are there any dangers or security holes I have to look out for?

Are there things I should avoid/definitely try out?

Is there an online guide/tutorial I can follow? I’m very new to all this, so I think a good introduction would do me good.

I hope you have a nice day and thanks in advance!

Taty dorn
    Participant

Pterodactyl is a control panel for managing servers, mainly focused on game servers, including Minecraft. Portainer, on the other hand, is a tool for managing Docker containers. If your goal is to manage a Minecraft server, Pterodactyl would be a better option.

Christian Brickman
    Participant

This guide shows you how to set up and configure a Minecraft Server. However, doing this requires changing your home network’s configuration and is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. If you wish to purchase a small private server for friends, check out Minecraft Realms. If you still wish to set up your own private server, do so at your own risk as we cannot offer support for home networks or privately made servers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.